找回密码注册

QQ登录

只需一步,快速开始

查看: 2940|回复: 23

[材料数据] 电路板蚀刻全集

[复制链接]

该用户从未签到

发表于 2009-6-23 04:43 | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式
很遗憾又是鸟文,原链接 Experimenting with Etching Artwork onto Steel + Applying the Resist and Etching

这次这个教程比较完整,配图细节也很明了。麻烦有空的刀友造福下大众。哈哈~~~

这里是第一节,把油膜印在钢板上

One of the marks of a quality saw, at least back in theday, was the presence of an etched logo on the blade.  These etcheswere more than the laser-printed logos of today that practically wipeoff the first time you use the saw - the etch was an acid process thatactually ate into the metal, leaving the logo behind, etched right intothe metal.
I have long searched for a economical way to etch alogo into the sides of my saw blades, and here's what I've found -here's my take on one of those logos:
The Artwork
First is to design the artwork.  I had severaliterations of logos and what-not, but this is the one I finally chose. Here's the original artwork for the logo:
This is a viking ship that my mother drew not longbefore she passed away.  My original idea for this artwork was to useit as a base for some carving or marquetry.  It's a bit busy for eitherof those, so I cleaned it up a bit.  Cleaning it up was easy - thefirst thing I did was get some transparencies, and trace the art ontoit, then scan that image back into the computer.  When I looked at thattracing, I thought it would also make for a great logo, and - I thoughtit would be a nice tribute.
Here's what I came up with:
I think it looks pretty fair...  One thing to rememberis the more detailed the artwork, the more the possibility exists thatit won't transfer properly.  Try keep it simple, to be easier onyourself later.
Transfer Film
Now - how to get that image onto the saw.
The technology to do etching like this actually comesfrom computer enthusiasts  who make their own printed circuit boards. There are a couple of different processes, which I will get into at theend of this article.  The basic idea is to mask the area you don't wantetched, and leave exposed those areas you do - and to use a mask thatwon't be eaten by what you are etching the metal with, usually somesort of plastic or wax.
The first element of the particular technique I chosefirst involved getting some "transfer film" - a sheet of a sort ofwhich is used by computer hobbyists to make their own printed circuitboard.  For this article, I'm using a product called "Press-N-PeelBlue" made by Techniks, Inc. (see web site at techniks.com).  Thisproduct uses the properties of the toner used by laser printers andcopiers to effect a precise mask over the areas you want etched - knownas "resist".  This resist will keep the etching solution from eatingaway the area you don't want etched.  You iron it on to the steel witha standard iron - though there are more commercial solutions that aresupposedly much more consistent.
I first print out a mirror image of the logo I want to use on the transfer film:

I cut out a single logo from the paper, and tape it into its desiredlocation on the blade.  Note - the blade must be CLEAN!  I used Scotchbrite pads, followed by an alcohol wipe to remove any of the greasefrom the saw blade that might remain from my hands.
Using the iron, I transfer the pattern onto the blade below.  I place asheet of paper between the resist and the iron so it slides more easilyover the pattern.  It makes it more difficult to see what's going on,but I found that if you move the pattern the image will become muddy,losing some of its detail.
Following the directions, when I finished ironing thepattern onto the blank, I quickly dunk the whole blade into some waterto quench it:

Generally, it took about 3 to 4 minutes of ironing with the ironnear its highest setting.  It was difficult to obtain a decent image -I believe the quality of the photocopy or laser image printed onto thefilm has the greatest affect.  I do believe that I didn't get quite asmuch toner on my images as I should have.
When cool and dry, I remove the transfer film.
As a result, the image I got with this blade had a fewspots missing - fortunately, the missing pieces weren't anywhere nearthe image, and can be fixed in the next stage with the resist I use forthe rest of the blade.  Check when pulling the film off - if you don'tget the entire image transferred, you can place it back down andre-heat it.  Sometimes that works, sometimes it doesn't.  Worth a shotthough.

该用户从未签到

楼主| 发表于 2009-6-23 04:44 | 显示全部楼层

第二节、蚀刻进行时

Adding the "Resist"
Now that I had the pattern I wanted on the blade, Ineeded something to mask the rest of the blade with.  My first thoughtwas beeswax, but it's too thick unless you thin it with someturpentine, but to get it thin enough to use it won't harden.  Theanswer - heat.  beeswax melts at 140 - 145 degrees or so.
A few trials, and what I came up with is to use 1 partbeeswax, 1 part paraffin wax, and 1 part turpentine, and heat it tojust over it's melting point in my "Hot Pot":
The result is a mixture that flows onto the bladefluidly, hardens quickly after application, and finally is removedeasily after the process is complete.
The first job is to take care of those spots thatdidn't come through with the transfer film.  Using a brush I cut to apoint, I spot in those areas with my homemade resist:
When I have covered all the exposed areas on the pattern, I move onto coat the rest of the blade with the resist using a 1" wide artistsbrush, being sure that every possible spot on the blade is covered. Whatever isn't will be etched - I had one of my first experiments leakall over, and pretty much ruined the blade.  Here you can see how theresist should flow on:

Once fully covered, the blade is ready to be etched.
Etching
Now comes the fun part.   Also, the easiest - theactual etching.  The etching solution I used is Ferric Chloride - nottechnically an acid (I don't think, anyway - I'm no chemist!) but acorrosive salt.  It's still quite potent, but not as dangerous as acidcan be.  It can be purchased at the local Radio Shack as "EtchantSolution" for about $5 a pint.  I got 2 pints to make sure I hadenough, and some rubber gloves - I don't believe that Ferric Chlorideis that harmful to your skin, but will turn your skin a nasty brown -and I would hate to get it into a cut.  Use at your own risk - if iteats metal...
Notice - Ferric Chloride
Be warned - Ferric Chloride is a nasty chemical, andshould be treated as such.  Use extreme caution whenever using.  Pleaseresearch and use all safety procedures recommended.  I cannot beresponsible for your use of hazardous products.  
MSDS for Ferric Chloride (PDF format):

I found a plastic container that would hold all theblades, and placed the blade into the solution, with the artwork facingdown and one edge propped up on a plastic putty knife:
The putty knife is to keep the image off of the bottomof the pan - the etchant works best if it can drop its "etchings" down,hence putting the blade in with the image down.  Let it sit in thesolution for about 10 minutes, then remove it and wash it off underrunning water, or in a similar container with fresh water.  Be carefulhow you handle the blade, as just about any exposure to the etchantwill leave it's mark on it.
Clean-Up
Once rinsed off, clean up is a breeze.  First, I use a putty knife to remove the largest part of the wax resist:
It peels off easily, and I just chuck the scrapings offin the waste bucket.  Once the majority of the resist is removed, some00 steel wool removes the rest, including the resist left by thetransfer film (with a little extra scrubbing!):
Once all of the resist is removed, I clean the bladeoff with some Windex (glass cleaner) to make sure that there is notrace of etchant remaining on the blade.
Here's the final result:
Summation
This was not as easy as all of that.  To be honest, Ionly had about a 20% success rate with the transfer film.  It could bethat I wasn't getting enough toner transferred to the film, or notgetting the heat quite right - I don't know for sure.  In any case,it's not good enough of a success rate for me to continue on with it. All is not lost, however - there are a couple of other solutions I amgoing to try.
First, this was a "dry" process sheet.  The samecompany, Techniks, Inc., also makes a "wet" process transfer film thatwork quite similarly - and that I've placed an order for (I will updatethis article when I have something from that).  Another company alsomake a wet process that is almost identical - Pulsar (see web site atpulsar.gs)
Still, it did work, even though it took a few tries. All in all, I have 5 or 6 blades with a logo etched on to them now,more than I had before.  And I have the benefit of the experience.
There are also entirely different methods, such as using a UV sensitive photo-resist that I may yet try.
Hope this was useful information.  More to come!
Update:
I'm happy to report that I was able to achieve a betterthan 80% success rate with the wet process system.  The procedure isalmost identical to the above, with the exception that when you throwthe blade in the water to cool after ironing it, you allow the paper tosoak up as much water as it can before peeling it off.  Here's a shotof the mask applied with that process:
I also found that dipping the end of an old dried outfelt-tipped pen into shellac and using it like a small brush was a goodway to fill in small holes in the mask...
It's taken me a couple of days, but I've now etched about 30 blades using the above process.
Thanks for reading!
  • TA的每日心情
    开心
    2015-7-10 14:12
  • 签到天数: 8 天

[LV.3]偶尔看看II

发表于 2009-6-23 06:25 | 显示全部楼层
    看不懂,都是外文。。。。

该用户从未签到

发表于 2009-6-23 08:14 | 显示全部楼层
    这是业余制作线路板所用的感光干膜,很便宜。
    要用紫外灯暴光后进行显影。
    感光干膜是一种紫外固化的耐酸树脂。

该用户从未签到

发表于 2009-6-23 08:28 | 显示全部楼层
    感光干膜两面都有一层保护膜
    1、贴膜后要加热才能使膜层和金属板粘牢
    2、把底片放在上感光膜上暴光
    3、显影
    IMG_0251.jpg
    IMG_0253.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg

该用户从未签到

发表于 2009-6-23 08:35 | 显示全部楼层
    感光干膜用在线路板蚀刻就很好操作的
    但用在做刀上好麻烦的,侧面和底面都要密封好才行
    用耐酸感光油墨比较方便好操作

该用户从未签到

发表于 2009-6-23 08:41 | 显示全部楼层
    蚀刻好脱膜比较简单,用强点的碱泡几分钟就可去掉
    做线路板我用干膜十几年了,真正用来蚀刻金属板我
    见意还是感光油墨吧

该用户从未签到

发表于 2009-6-23 08:49 | 显示全部楼层
    耐酸感光干膜做折刀时我经常使用。
    大马刀头转动部分用圆形的膜覆盖
    后才进行酸洗

该用户从未签到

发表于 2009-6-23 08:58 | 显示全部楼层

http://www.jianshen360.cn/

感光干膜用在蚀刻钢铁和铜的酸液里还行,
    蚀刻钛合金(氢氟酸)就不咋地——穿膜

该用户从未签到

发表于 2009-6-23 10:14 | 显示全部楼层
    提示: 作者被禁止或删除 内容自动屏蔽
  • TA的每日心情
    开心
    2017-4-26 16:26
  • 签到天数: 5 天

[LV.2]偶尔看看I

发表于 2009-6-23 10:16 | 显示全部楼层
    小学时候参加课外小组,做电门铃,自己画线路板,一块板子,上面一层铜底下是绿色电木,老师 让我们用一种紫色的药水往上涂,然后老师收走去做酸解,就成电路板了,那种紫色的药水是什么??

该用户从未签到

发表于 2009-6-23 10:22 | 显示全部楼层

http://www.365soso.cn/

小学时候参加课外小组,做电门铃,自己画线路板,一块板子,上面一层铜底下是绿色电木,老师 让我们用一种紫色的药水往上涂,然后老师收走去做酸解,就成电路板了,那种紫色的药水是什么??
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————
    这种紫色的药水就是感光油墨了
  • TA的每日心情
    开心
    2015-11-8 08:47
  • 签到天数: 129 天

[LV.7]常住居民III

发表于 2009-6-23 11:37 | 显示全部楼层
    学习
  • TA的每日心情
    慵懒
    2016-12-1 18:42